12/30/2010

Do you have fun with your instrument?

I had a piano at home my whole life until I moved to the States. I used to play it all the time, often just for fun.

When I moved to the US, I discovered practice rooms. While I was glad I had a piano to practice on, the amount of time I spent just having fun on the piano went way low. At the end of a long day, staying extra hours at school just to sing or write songs just seemed like they would take me away from much needed time at home.


A few years later I got a tiny keyboard, which had only three octaves, and no pedal. Even if it was far from ideal, after not having written any songs for years, I ended up writing quite a few during the time I had it. I also learned a lot of new songs just sight-reading away.

Unfortunately I had to get rid of it when I moved to Boston, and spent another three years with no instrument at home. While I was practicing hard at school, and getting more and more professional on my instrument, at that point I had close to no fun with it. Piano had become my job, and the few times where I got to play it for no purpose other than itself, I missed the fun I used to have daily with it.

I talked about that often with my husband, who realized a few weeks ago that his brother had a full size awesome keyboard at his parents home, and that he wasn't playing it since he had gone away to college. So we asked him if we could borrow it for a few months, and drove it back from Christmas break. My husband built it up last night, and I could not be happier!


I played it right away last night, and as soon as I woke up this morning and saw it, I couldn't wait to play it! It's just like a new love, I'm giddy just thinking about it!

I now feel as if I play two different instruments: one in practice rooms for my professional life, and one at home as a fun hobby.

How lucky am I?!

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails